[pdal] Problems building PDAL on Windows

Albert Godfrind albert.godfrind at oracle.com
Thu Mar 21 03:28:41 PDT 2013

After the issues with CMake (see my previous post) I progressed to the actual build. The build fails with the following exceptions:

Creating library D:/Projects/PDAL/PDAL/bin/Release/pdal.lib and object D:/Projects/PDAL/PDAL/bin/Release/pdal.exp

NitfFile.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _NITFGetField referenced in function "private: static void __cdecl pdal::drivers::nitf::NitfFile::processTREs(int,char const *,class pdal::Metadata &,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (?processTREs at NitfFile@nitf at drivers@pdal@@CAXHPBDAAVMetadata at 4@ABV?$basic_string at DU?$char_traits at D@std@@V?$allocator at D@2@@std@@@Z)

pdalboost.lib(path.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual int __thiscall windows_file_codecvt::do_in(int &,char const *,char const *,char const * &,wchar_t *,wchar_t *,wchar_t * &)const " (?do_in at windows_file_codecvt@@MBEHAAHPBD1AAPBDPA_W3AAPA_W at Z)

pdalboost.lib(path.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual int __thiscall windows_file_codecvt::do_out(int &,wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *,wchar_t const * &,char *,char *,char * &)const " (?do_out at windows_file_codecvt@@MBEHAAHPB_W1AAPB_WPAD3AAPAD at Z)

D:\Projects\PDAL\PDAL\bin\Release\pdal.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals

========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The first one seems to have to do with the NITF format - maybe some GDAL incompatibility ? The version I got from OSGeo4W is post 1.9.0 (according to the OSGeo4W installer it is 1.9.2-2). Not sure if this is important.

The other two seem to do with Boost. I am using the version that is embedded with PDAL, or at least I think so. I first tried with the default settings:

rem set PDAL_EMBED_BOOST=OFF
set BOOST_DIR=%PDAL_DIR%\boost

I also tried explicitly enabling the embedded Boost lib:

set PDAL_EMBED_BOOST=ON
set BOOST_DIR=%PDAL_DIR%\boost

but that did not make any difference.

Any assistance is welcome.