[pdal] Problems with cmake on Windows

Albert Godfrind albert.godfrind at oracle.com
Thu Mar 21 03:30:42 PDT 2013

Hi everyone

I would like to build PDAL for Windows. I followed the steps outlined here:  http://www.pointcloud.org/compilation/windows.html.

First of all I noticed the following when running config.bat: somehow the location of OSGEO4W is hard-coded to be C:\OSGeo4W. I originally had it installed elsewhere (D:\Tools\OSGeo4W) and I had modified config.bat to point to the proper place:

set OSGEO4W_DIR=D:\Tools\OSGeo4W

But config failed to find GDAL or GeoTIFF. I could not see why, until I moved the OSGeo4W install to C:\OSGeo4W and re-ran config. It then went further.

The other thing that got me for a while is that config.bat actually overrides my setting of ORACLE_HOME (it actually points it to C:\OSGeo4W). After changing that I went further.

Then config.bat complains about not finding Python libraries.  Even though I have disabled python in config.bat:

set PYTHON_ENABLED=OFF

I am still getting a failure:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
PYTHON_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "pdal" in directory D:/Projects/PDAL/PDAL/src

Finally I switched to a "release" build instead of a "debug" build.  The config step then fails again, but differently:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
Boost_FILESYSTEM_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
linked by target "pdal" in directory D:/Projects/PDAL/PDAL/src

After that, if I just re-run config.bat, it completes and builds all the make files and the sln.file. But I don't know if they are correct. My next step will be to try the actual build

Albert

--
Albert Godfrind
albert.godfrind at oracle.com