[pdal] Obtaining "stats" without reading points

Gerlek, Michael MGerlek at radiantblue.com
Wed Dec 3 08:08:25 PST 2014

Would that it were so.

You *could* crawl the metadata object to find the las header, BUT it’s a bad idea: the values in the header can’t be relied on, as the generating apps often get it wrong. LAS is notorious on this one. Trust me. :-)     (trivial example: sometimes the min/max corresponds to the data *before* they did some cleaning to remove noise points……..)

Furthermore, because PDAL is a general / format-independent library, it tends to only expose as 1st class citizens the info that it “knows” is always true and will always be there for all formats.

-mpg