[pdal] Obtaining "stats" without reading points

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:47:08 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Kramer, Oscar <OKramer at radiantblue.com>
wrote:

>  This is related to Michael's issue post here:
> https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/issues/569. I need access to min/max bounds
> on quantities like intensity values, geographic bounds, etc (specifically
> in las files but should be generalized). I know those values are available
> in the las header. Yet it seems that to obtain these "stats", I need to
> employ a stats filter and read all the points. Is there another mechanism
> for quickly reading certain general properties (like bounds) that may be
> available from the header?

I've written the infrastructure to provide what you're asking, but I don't
think I ever hooked it up to a command-line app.  I'll do this shortly.
But in the end, it doesn't matter if you can't trust the data in the
header, as Michael suggests is often the case.  This really is too bad --
not much point in having the data if it's not correct.

We were talking about providing JSON output.  Would this work for you?

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com