[pdal] p2g density

Matthew Hanson mhanson at appliedgeosolutions.com
Thu Feb 12 11:52:44 PST 2015

Hello again,

I'm not sure this is the right list for this question which is more about
points2grid, but I thought someone here might have run into this issue.

I'm creating a tiff of point density from a las file.    My las file is
1000x1000 m with about 24 million points.    I create a tiff of density
(den) using a grid size of 1.0x1.0 and a radius of 0.56.   Thus my search
area is about 1.0, the same as my grid area.

I would expect the sum of all my points to be about equal to the total # of
points, and the mean pixel value to be about 24.   However it's not.   I
get a significantly higher total - about 37 million points and a mean of
about 37.     I've adjusted the search radius and it does change, but the
numbers are quite a bit higher in all cases than what would be expected.

Am I misunderstanding what the density output is supposed to be?   Or has
someone else stumbled across this?

Thanks,

Matthew Hanson
Applied GeoSolutions