[pdal] Building pdal 1.3.0 under Windows

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Wed Oct 19 11:48:42 PDT 2016

I've started investigating using pdal as a substitute for liblas for
reading point cloud data.  I have it building under Linux OK (with
cmake).  I having problems building under Windows (this is pdal 1.3.0):

(1) A required dependency is geos.  The seems to require Visual Studio
2013 or later.  This comes from

   geos/tests/xmltester/XMLTester.cpp

expecting std::round to be defined in <cmath>.  Is this right?  Or can I
skip the tests in geos and compile with Visual Studio 2012 as well.

(2) curl appears to be an optional dependency (cmake does not insist
that it be found).  And yet

   pdal/src/PDALUtils.cpp

includes vendor/arbiter/arbiter.hpp and this tries to do

   #include <curl/curl.h>

(3) Installing curl (for Visual Studio 2013 this time) and building with
cmake hits an error on line 898 or pdal/util/Utils.hpp:

   error C2144: syntax error : 'std::underlying_type<_Ty>::type' should
   be preceded by ';'

This looks like some new-fangled C++11 stuff which perhaps Visual Studio
2013 doesn't recognize.

I'm happy to delve into this further.  But I thought I should first
align my expectations with those of the developer:

   With what versions of Visual Studio should I expect success?
   I've attempting to build it with
     gdal 2.1.1
     LASzip 2.2.0
     eigen 3.2.8
     geos 3.5.0
     curl (maybe) 7.39.0
   Should I expect this combination to work?

Thanks for you help

   --Charles

--
Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662