[pdal] Potree writer/reader

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 21:41:00 PST 2017

Hi Daniel, all

PotreeConverter exists - and is dockerised - and while not super stable it
does the job :)

I had an off-list discussion with Connor a while ago about reading entwine
directly using the potree viewer - without greyhound, purely for removing
one extra http interface when looking at points; and using the greyhound
API when we want to do stuff with points.

However, looking more deeply, it might just be a matter of figuring out how
to configure my entwine build to write smaller chunks, ie topping out at  a
few thousand or few hundred thousand points (happy to take assistance, I
was just minutes from posting an issue on entwine and/or e-mailing ) - at
the expense of more files… which is a neat segue to...

Potreeconverter writes out very many more, much smaller files than entwine;
and writing out potrees is really bloaty - a 240ish GB entwine dataset
turned out to be 700+GB of potree (as LASzip)!!! So this was smaller than
the original LAS data by a few hundred GB, bout astoundingly larger than
the LAZ’ed data and its entwine writeout.

No religious opinion about whether writers.potree should exist or not, but
thought I’d share some notes

Cheers, hope that helps!

Adam

On 20 December 2017 at 15:01, Daniel Kastl <daniel at georepublic.de> wrote:

> Yes. Less software to install is the main reason.
>

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:
>
>> Is there a compelling reason to not use the Greyhound + Entwine
>> combination?
>>

>> On 12/19/17 9:57 PM, Connor Manning wrote:
>> > As far as I know, this has not previously been worked on.
>> >
>> > - Connor

>> someone

> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
> eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de