[pdal] PDAL Python3 issues

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 09:53:06 PST 2017

On 01/23/2017 03:29 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Jean-Francois Prieur <jfprieur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. I have tested the Python extension on both Python 2 and Python 3, and the Python extensions are built and tested as part of the Travis continuous integration tests [1]. I'm a bit stumped by this particular issue, and I have never seen any behavior like this before. Some wild guesses I have would be there's some mix up of Numpy headers and actual installed version, or there's somehow a Python 3.x runtime vs compiled-against-2.x numpy issue.
>
> [1] https://travis-ci.org/PDAL/PDAL/jobs/193471435#L3786
>
>> I have installed gdal, pdal, python3-gdal, python3-numpy, python3-pdal so not too sure why the arrays command fails.
>
> Is there a python3-pdal package now?

It has been there since I first packaged PDAL for Debian.

Unfortunately libpdal-plang is only built with Python 2, which may be
the source of this issue. I've patched out the version check to keep
building both version when that check was added, because I'd like to
have to build PDAL for every Python version (which can be more than two
when a transition to a new Python 3 version is started).

If python-pdal can only work with the same Python version as
libpdal-plang was built with, we'll need to drop the python3-pdal
package or add a libpdal-plang3 for it.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--