[pdal] [Filters] Decimation built into a reader

Albert Godfrind albert.godfrind at oracle.com
Fri Jun 16 05:19:44 PDT 2017

Ah OK. 6GB of LAZ would probably be equivalent to 75GB of LAS files. Still not a lot of data. Definitely something I would expect to process on a regular laptop without effort ...

> I’ve witnessed RAM usage of more than 38 GB (intensive swap usage) on my own dev box (8 cores, 16 GB RAM, SSD), and the process could not finish because it ran out of memory. So extrapolating to the target machine, this is unbearable.

Looks like one of the processes in the pipeline requires loading the entire (uncompressed) dataset in memory ? Someone in the PDAL dev team may comment here. If so, then that is a bit of a worry regarding scalability ...

Albert

--
 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Albert Godfrind | Geospatial and Graph technologies | Tel: +33 4 93 00 80 67 | Mobile: +33 6 09 97 27 23 | Twitter: @agodfrin