[pdal] Debugging std::bad_alloc

James Harrison james at talkunafraid.co.uk
Sat May 13 10:16:51 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm running PDAL in Docker with a simple pipeline to write a single
dimension with the GDAL writer. The LAZ being consumed as input is
PDAL-generated 1.4 LAS, with the source file (LAS 1.2) to that process
coming from the TerraSolid/Bentley Microstation toolset.

I'm using Docker, the latest PDAL image (Docker SHA256 4d1b5..., PDAL
commit aea5bb) and have plenty of disk space free at least in the host's
domain.

All is well on the LAZ side, and ground.laz parses OK (with pdal info,
running in Docker). The LAZ in question has 46,468,399 points and a
number of dimensions. A smaller file runs through this process correctly.

My pipeline is thus:

{
  "pipeline": [
    "/output/ground.laz",
    {
      "type": "writers.gdal",
      "resolution": 0.015,
      "radius": 0.035,
      "window_size": 1,
      "filename": "/output/layer-Red.tif",
      "output_type": "idw",
      "dimension": "Red"
    }
  ]
}

If I run PDAL on this file I get an error after a little while - even
with verbosity 8, nothing is emitted:
[james at hostname laser_coloured_matched]$ docker run -it --rm -v
/tmp/lidar-tmp-1/las2tiff/210000_396000/:/output pdal/pdal:latest pdal
--developer-debug pipeline /output/layer-Red.json
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about getting more meaningful
error messages out of PDAL, hence the ML post rather than GH issue. Am I
missing a trick to produce more debug messages/output? Is this a known
problem with non-obvious causes like Docker doing something silly with
temporary storage? Or am I being an idiot? :-)
--
Cheers,
James Harrison