[pdal] Debugging std::bad_alloc

James Harrison james at talkunafraid.co.uk
Sun May 14 06:11:41 PDT 2017

On 13/05/2017 21:42, Andrew Bell wrote:
> Yes. That may help depending on the memory requirements of the points
> and that of the raster. You do need to specify bounds if you use
> writers.gdal in stream mode.
>
> On May 13, 2017 3:31 PM, "Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH CIV"
> <Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil <mailto:Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil>> wrote:
>
>     Couldn't this be run in stream mode to reduce the memory usage?  Try
>     adding --stream

Didn't know about stream mode - having said that I'm seeing that in my
dataset this is actually being caused by fragmented point cloud data
containing geographically dispersed chunks of points - in other words,
my .las has two chunks of road with a big 5km gap in the middle. No
problem in the vector world but a real pain for raster generation.

I've tried using the cluster filter and the groupby filter in
combination to emit segmented LAZ files I can then iterate over, but the
groupby filter complains the ClusterId dimension is invalid. Is this the
right approach to take? I've considered using the chipper with a
reasonably high point count but I think this would create visual
discontinuities in the output.

--
Cheers,
James Harrison