[pdal] Need help getting started - Can't read compressed file ...

Paul Schrum paul.schrum at gmail.com
Wed May 24 12:44:53 PDT 2017

Hi all.

I am the GSoC student who will be integrating PDAL into GRASS this summer.

I am trying to go through a basic starting task in PDAL indenpendent of
GRASS just to get started.

On Ubuntu Linix (on a PC), I have donwloaded the source code and built
PDAL, as directed on the 'Using "Unix Makefiles" on Linux part of the Unix
Compilation <https://www.pdal.io/development/compilation/unix.html> page.
I then ran the Testing command it completed successfully.  I have not not
attempted to configure any optional libraries as yet.

>From the Quickstart <https://www.pdal.io/quickstart.html>page, I downloaded
the autzen.laz dataset.

I am not using docker, so I took the command from the Quickstart page and
adapted it to not use docker.  So in a Terminal window I entered:
pdal info autzen.laz  -p 0

It responded with
PDAL: readers.las: Can't read compressed file without LASzip or LAZperf
decompression library.

Can someone explain to me what I should do to get around this problem?

- Paul