[pdal] pdal python binding installation error

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 27 03:45:58 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-27 11:39, Giuseppe Falcone wrote:
> I have a problem during installation of python pdal binding.
> I have an ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I have compiled PCL from source (some pdal
> filters that I want apply required that) and then I have compiled pdal
> 1.5.0 (from source) with pcl support. pcl and pdal compile are ok.

You need to build pdal with Python support too, and the python version
for PDAL must be the same as for its Python bindings.

> Now I want to install python binding.
> With pip or executing setup.py in pdal python dir I have same error:
>

> cc1plus: warning: command line option ‘-Wstrict-prototypes’ is valid
> for
> C/ObjC but not for C++
>     c++ -pthread -shared -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
> -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g
> -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -g
> -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
> -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -g
> -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
> build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/pdal/libpdalpython.o
> build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/pdal/PyPipeline.o -L/usr/local/lib
> -lpdalcpp
> -lpdal_plang -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/pdal/libpdalpython.so
>     /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpdal_plang
>     collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>     error: command 'c++' failed with exit status 1
>

> there is a pdal_plang library missing (I think). pdal_plang requires
> pdal_base lib which in turn requires gdal-abi-2-1-2 that is a virtual
> package that send to libgdal20 that is already installed, but I have
> dependency error:

Don't mix the pdal & python-pdal packages with your self compiled one.

To fix the link issue you need to have PDAL compiled with Python
support, and the PDAL libraries must be in the library search path.
(/usr/local/lib should be included by default).

Kind Regards,

Bas