[pdal] Conversion and alignment of voxels...

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Aug 28 09:14:19 PDT 2018

On 8/21/18 12:44 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I would like to do a voxelgrid type downsampling, but with the following
> tweaks and was hoping to see if PDAL could help:
>
> 1) Store the voxel center rather than the centroid of the points inside of
> it
> 2) Store stats on the points in a given voxel (e.g. count of points in a
> voxel)
> 3) Be able to set the origin point of the voxel rather than (what I am
> assuming) is e.g. the min x,y,z so I can "align" two different point clouds.
>
> The goal of this is to create the framework for looking at change detection
> within a given voxel.

Jonathan,

There isn't really anything specifically in PDAL to be able to do this,
but I have made some recent additions to the PDAL Python extension that
should make it possible for you to prototype and develop these kinds of
things yourself in that environment.

The PDAL 1.8.0 release (coming in September) will include the following
Python enhancements:

* Python extension will be able to pass numpy arrays to invoke in PDAL
pipelines for execution
* Python extension advertises PDAL's dimension types
https://pdal.io/dimensions.html
* Python readers.numpy can programmatically take in a reference to a
numpy array