[pdal] Pgpointcloud writer SRID

Lars laasunde at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 04:33:27 PDT 2018

Hello,

We used a pipeline (see attched file) to read a laz file and write it to pgpointcloud. The pipeline was able to write data to database but we notice the SRID was incorrect. Turns out the laz was using UTM Zone and pgpointcloud used 4326 (the default). By adding a reprojection filter to the pipeline we were able to fix the issue.

We mistakenly thought that pgpointcloud would "reproject" the input data to srid 4326 but it makes sense the this task belongs in a filter.

It is unfortunte that PDAL allowed us to create what I consider is invalid data which could have been prevented. The "srid" parameter used in the pipeline appears to be a string with sole purpose of being added to the pointcloud_formats table. In pgpointcloud witer, would it be possible to use input-srid (in_srs) as default if available instead of always using 4326? Another option could be to give the user a warning if input-srs does not match the "srid" specified for pgpointcloud writer.

It might be worth adding more information about pgpointcloud writer "srid" to the documentation to help others.

Kind regards, Lars