[pdal] Merging buffered tiles

Eric Robeck erobeck at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:30:50 PDT 2018

Andrew,

Sure, no problem. I sent you and Howard copies of the files in a separate
email. They are as follows:

1.  "clean_tile_18.las": the original file I created using PDAL to tile and
convert from LAZ 1.4 to LAS 1.2)
2.    "mcc_tile_18.las": the tile created by MCC-LIDAR after ground
classification
3.    "lasground_tile_18.laz": the tile created by LASTools lasground.exe
from the LAS file, but recompressed by lasground

I also think I identified the problem. I thought the input 'mcc' tiles were
in Missouri East State Plane coordinates, because I had projected some MCC
inputs before, so I told PDAL to convert them from EPSG 26915 (Missouri
East State Plane) to EPSG 32615 (UTM 15N):

      "inputs":"merge_tiles",
      "type":"filters.reprojection",
      "tag":"reproject_tiles",
      "in_srs":"EPSG:26915",
      "out_srs":"EPSG:32615"

Apparently PDAL was smarter than me, because it recognized the inherent
coordinate system and did NOT reproject the data. When I took out the
reprojection stage and ran the pipeline again, it finished without errors.
PDAL protected me from my own mistake, so maybe that was its way of
detecting the discrepancy.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric