[pdal] PDAL 1.8 release candidate

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Oct 30 05:20:34 PDT 2018

On 10/30/18 3:16 AM, Bas Couwenberg wrote:

> Please also upload the tarball to https://download.osgeo.org/pdal/

We are moving away from uploading the tarball to the OSGeo download
server. We are not an OSGeo project and getting credentials for new
contributors to be able to upload to that single server is challenging.
We will post 1.8 final release at that location. Moving forward we are
planning to use GitHub Releases unless someone else can suggest a more
convenient mechanism. Andrew has coordinated the entire PDAL 1.8 release
cycle, and we are working to eliminate bottlenecks in the process. I am
a bottleneck for the release upload to the OSGeo server.

I am also a stopper for all of the OSGeo4W activities, and 1.8 will be
the last release of OSGeo4W binaries by the Hobu development team. We
are moving to being entirely Conda-based official Windows binaries
thanks to Brad Chambers' efforts. Conda feedstocks allow contributors
managed by GitHub credentials to control and manage the binary build
process. Conda also has a much wider installed base and IT/security shop
blessing than OSGeo4W.