[pdal] "resolution" keyword in

Matt Beckley beckley at unavco.org
Mon Apr 1 05:51:17 PDT 2019

Hi - thanks for the responses.  Basically, I'm trying to develop a workflow
to calculate the number of points per class in a given ept dataset. My
experience is that the `pdal info --stats` command will read all of the
data into memory and will not work on large ept files (like the usgs lidar
datasets).  Conor helped me out and suggested that I could use the
"resolution" flag to estimate the number of points at a given level in the
ept structure, and I've done that with a resolution = 50. So, for example,
I have run a query like:

pdal info --stats --filters.stats.dimensions=Classification
--filters.stats.count=Classification ept://
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usgs-lidar-public/USGS_LPC_MD_VA_Sandy_NCR_2014_LAS_2015
--readers.ept.resolution=50
--readers.ept.threads=12

I'm trying to understand if the counts I get per classification is
representative of a 50 m^2 area?  It seems like from the documentation (and
Jim's answer), that it is trying to take data at the octree level that is
closest to the specified resolution.  So, is there a way I can "back out"
the point totals per classification to get a representative count per
classification for the entire dataset?  Is there a way to calculate what
the actual returned resolution level is?  Currently I am just taking a
ratio between total count of the entire dataset to returned count from the
subset dataset using the "resolution" flag.  I then apply that ratio to the
different class counts to get a rough estimate of points per classification
for the entire dataset.  This is certainly not the best method as it will
over-estimate some of the classification totals.

Thanks for your help.

matt.
Matthew Beckley
Data Engineer