[pdal] tweaking parameters in filters.smrf

thejus kambi thejus.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 05:18:41 PDT 2019

Hello Silvia,

Like you I am new to PDAL and have been trying to optimize the output and
filtering steps. As you suggested, I would also like to participate in a
collabration efforts to improve ground filtering efforts.

I have been looking at a similar approach as yours. I have a little
programming background, so am working on an automated process (custom or
using pipeline). From what I have seen, pmf & smrf tends to include the low
vegetation as ground points.
About clustering: I do not understand, how clustering would help with
classifying ground. With default settings, the whole file might end within
a single cluster. Best use I can think of is filtering the noise points.

I confess, I am not an expert and dont understand many of the Innards.

Can you explain what is normalZ and its relation to ground?

Let me know what you think.

Warm Regards,
Thejus