[pdal] filtering duplicate points

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Mon May 13 05:26:28 PDT 2019

Andrew,

You can use filters.sample and just set a small radius.

Mike

--

Michael Smith

Remote Sensing/GIS Center

US Army Corps of Engineers

From: pdal <pdal-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Andrew Cunliffe <andrewmcunliffe at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 13, 2019 at 8:21 AM
Subject: [pdal] filtering duplicate points

Dear all,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me to use PDAL to filter for duplicate points in a point cloud.

By duplicate, I mean points that are less than a threshold distance (e.g. 0.001 m) from other points in the cloud. I'm working with photogrammetrically-generated point clouds, in some cases ca. 20-30% of the points are 'duplicates' so removing these has some big benefits later in the pipeline.

I'm looking for a filter that functions like 'Remove duplicate points' in CloudCompare. I wasn't able to see anything suitable under the filters > cull documentation, unless filters.voxelcenternearestneighbor would achieve this with cell set to 0.001?

If anyone else thinks that a filter.duplicate function might be helpful, I'm happy to submit a feature request via Github.

Thanks

Andy

--

Dr Andrew Cunliffe