[pdal] converting las to tif

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 05:36:40 PDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:25 AM Jelto Buurman <jelto.buurman at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to use pdal to convert lidar data to tif. If I am using the
> following
> pipline:
> {
>         "pipeline":[
>         {
>                 "type" : "readers.las",
>                         "filename" : "linputfile.laz"
>         },
>         {
>                 "type":"filters.range",
>                         "limits":",Classification[2:2]"
>         },
>         {
>                 "type": "writers.gdal",
>                         "resolution": 1,
>                         "radius": 1.5,
>                         "filename":"outputfile.tif"
>         }
>                 ]
> }
>  I get a tif file, but the interpolation method is idw. So ever edge in the
> surface will be fased and the peeks will also be cutted of.

We only do the interpolation methods described in the documentation:
https://pdal.io/stages/writers.gdal.html

> If I am using the following pipeline:
>
> {
>         "pipeline":[
>         {
>                 "type" : "readers.las",
>                         "filename" : "inputfile.laz"
>         },
>         {
>                 "type":"filters.range",
>                         "limits":",Classification[2:2]"
>         },
>         {
>                 "type":"filters.delaunay"
>         },
>                 {
>                "type": "writers.ply",
>                 "filename": "output.ply",
>                 "faces": true
>         }
>                 ]
> }
>

>  I  get a  very big textfile, witch I even cannot load into QGIS. Does
> anyone have an advise?

You can write binary PLY.  Try:

   {
               "type": "writers.ply",
                "filename": "output.ply",
                "faces": true,
                 "storage_mode": "little_endian"
        }

You can also set the precision when writing text output.  See:
https://pdal.io/stages/writers.ply.html

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com