[pdal] c# bindings for PDAL

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 08:23:36 PDT 2020

Since I got it all working - I thought I would feed it back.

First point - the "unity Package" I referred to relates to Unity - the VR
development environment. This is scripted in C# - thus the need to use that
language. The Project is a 'GIS in VR' platform - www.virgis.org.

Use of PDAL in C# and Unity comes in two parts:

1) A C API for PDAL. This is provided by PDAL/CAPI
<https://github.com/PDAL/CAPI> and compiles to pdalc.dll. The error I
reported before was caused by this library - but recompiling capi against
PDAL 2.1.0 worked fine and sorted the problem out. I don't think this code
counts as official or even actively maintained but it does work well.

2) C# PINVOKE scripts for the C API. The repo PDAL-UNITY
<https://github.com/Simverge/pdal-unity> is intended only a technology
demonstration but actually provides a very complete set of scripts - see
this source
<https://github.com/Simverge/pdal-unity/blob/master/Assets/pdal/Scripts/Pipeline.cs>
for
an example.

Using this setup, I can, in C#, programmatically create pipelines, execute
those pipelines and get the result back as a pointview.

I can also (Specific to Unity) bake the PointView into a Texture which I
then pass to a VFX (a form of GPU shader) to visualise the Point Cloud.

You can see all of this happening in this source.
<https://github.com/ViRGIS-Team/ViRGIS/blob/version_2/Assets/Scripts/Layers/PointCloudLayer.cs>