[pdal] Beginners help

Marcus Conrad marcusconrad at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:12:17 PDT 2020

Hi, apologies but I have very limited understanding of coding, command line etc.

I am desperately trying to use PDAL to reproject a point cloud form one coordinate system to another. This is a self funded project experimenting with drone data. I am using open source or low cost software and this is the last stage of the workflow.

I have followed the instructions for installing Miniconda and PDAL and setting up myenv. I am not sure what exists in an environment as different workshops state downloading pdal into newly set up environments. I am also not sure why I am automatically in C\usr\marcu and how to change this but this is not critical.

I have been running basic commands such as pdal info and –metadata so I know it works ok.

I wasn’t sure about \ and ^ which appear to be new lines so wasn’t sure how to input this but have used | which seems to work.

When I try the exercise in workshop>translation>reprojection

pdal translate ./exercises/analysis/ground/CSite1_orig-utm.laz \
 ./exercises/translation/csite-dd.laz reprojection \
 --filters.reprojection.out_srs="EPSG:4326"

I get the error

[cid:image001.png at 01D63F73.05C14730]

Eventually I believe I want to use the following:

pdal translate \
C:\3D\Captured_Photos\Wendron_Pitch4_27_20\Tiff_8bit_exif_nadir\DrnMppr3D\WendronNadSection.las reprojection \
--filters.reprojection.in_srs="EPSG:32630" \
--filters.reprojection.out_srs="EPSG:7405" \
--writers.las.scale_x=0.0000001 \
--writers.las.scale_y=0.0000001 \
--writers.las.offset_x="auto" \
--writers.las.offset_y="auto"

With this I get the following error '--filters.reprojection.in_srs' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Apologies again for asking basic questions in this forum. I started with the exercise and tutorials but still struggled.

Marcus