[pdal] Trouble reading CyArk .e57 point clouds

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:39:57 PDT 2020

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned, I found that most of the projects are very big (10's of GB
to over 100 Gb!) but I found one relatively small one (~900 MB) but "pdal
info" was happy with it.  I found another one that's just over a 1Gb and
PDAL could read that too.

Could there be some sort of size assumption in PDAL or readers.e57, like
maybe a 32-bit size or offset somewhere?  The readers.e57 page in the docs
mentions a couple of caveats about this format but I imagine the tools
would warn if one of these problems was encountered, right?

I randomly tried another relatively small (for CyArk; ~4 GB) file and "pdal
info <file> --metadata" returned a different error:

>pdal info kz88-9d21_lidar_photogrammetry.e57 --metadata
PDAL: readers.e57: 29 : fileName=kz88-9d21_lidar_photogrammetry.e57
header.filePhysicalLength=4803256320 file->length=508289024

Anyone may download it by starting at
https://openheritage3d.org/project_thankyou.php?id=ck42-e122 and following
the "Download" link (which leads to a form and then they mail you a real
link to a .zip.)

Thanks for any ideas,

carl