[pdal] How to get the metadata of a file?

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 04:39:20 PDT 2020

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 5:02 AM Peder Axensten <Peder.Axensten at slu.se>
wrote:

> Pity.
>
> I see that the present users’ domain doesn’t seem to have a need for
> bounding box header information. I believe that users in other domains do –
> possibly few and small domains, but who knows? To me it still seems an
> arbitrary limitation and your arguments have not convinced me.

PDAL has been around for about six years and this hasn't come up, so I
think this is a pretty unique ask. We calculate the bounding area all the
time with the existing code and it works fine. The time it takes is dwarfed
by the time it takes to read the file itself, with no other processing in
place.

> But it’s your prerogative.

Actually, no. The code is there for you to do as you wish. The data you
want is there, you just have to write a bit of code to fetch it.

I’ll ponder what the most viable option is for us: status quo with liblas,
> use pdal for reading only, or make a pdal filter/writer and use some
> workaround in our process chain. I will probably come back for more
> advice... :-)

If what you want is just to read a LAS file into memory, then there's no
reason not to use liblas if it meets your requirements.

Best,

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com