[pdal] Invalid dimension name 'Pulse width'?

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:40:23 PST 2021

Hi Riivo,

There's nothing wrong with the name. PDAL doesn't support spaces in
dimension names, so it fails. We've seen spaces in dimension names in other
formats (BPF and text, for instance), but this is the first I can recall in
a LAS file. I'll open a ticket to add an option to allow PDAL to accept
this by replacing PDAL-invalid characters with a '_'.

You should be able to get PDAL to read the file for now by modifying it
with something like sed:

$ sed s/Pulse width/PulseWidth\000/ < infile.laz > outfile.laz

Hope that helps,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 4:08 AM Riivo Kolka <riivo.kolka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The government of my country provides [1] LAZ files that PDAL apparently
> does not like. I reported to them already, but can you help me to
> understand what is the problem?
>
> >pdal --version
> pdal 2.2.0 (git-version: Release)
>
> > pdal info --debug --summary 474658_2019_tava.laz
>
> (PDAL Debug) Debugging...
>
> (pdal info readers.las Debug) File contains both WKT and GeoTiff VLRs
> which is disallowed.
>
> (pdal info readers.las Error) GDAL failure (1) PROJ:
> proj_create_from_database: crs not found
>
> (pdal info readers.las Error) GDAL failure (1) PROJ:
> proj_create_from_database: crs not found
>
> *PDAL: Can't create dimension with invalid name 'Pulse width'.*
>

> Is this a deviation from standard? Should it be 'PulseWidth' or
> 'pulse_width' or 'pulse width' or is there some other problem?
>

> sample file https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApU_pQwb1lO8hJttWG_fDT5l-3LLjQ?e=VXgKbv
>

> [1] Download Elevation Data | Estonian Land Board (maaamet.ee)
> <https://geoportaal.maaamet.ee/eng/Maps-and-Data/Elevation-data/Download-Elevation-Data-p664.html>

Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com