[pdal] Filtering power lines and transmission towers

Andreas Yankopolus andreas at yank.to
Tue May 4 14:06:03 PDT 2021

All—

I’m getting promising results using a density filter for filtering out power lines and transmission towers, I got the idea from looking at point clouds in plas.io <http://plas.io/> and noticing the low density of points compared to trees, buildings, etc.

The pipeline first removes outliers:

    {
        "type": "filters.outlier",
        "method": "statistical",
        "mean_k": 16,
        "multiplier": 2
    },
    {
        "type": "filters.range",
        "limits": "Classification![7:7]"
    },

Then removes points under a threshold density. I haven’t tinkered much with the radius and density values.

    {
        "type": "filters.radialdensity",
        "radius": 2.0
    },
    {
        "type": "filters.range",
        "limits": "RadialDensity[:2]"
    },

Curious to hear if developers are finding this or other filters useful for removing wires/mesh.

—Andreas