[pdal] Python pipeline not reading ept.json

Gelder, Brian K [A&BE] bkgelder at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 19 04:11:56 PDT 2022

Howard,
Thanks for your tip; should have thought of that myself. It does appear to be an issue with Python and not pdal directly. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0 for my Python 3.9 install. I installed Pro, cloned the default Python install, and then installed via "conda install -c conda-forge pdal" Does anyone have suggestions on how make these two play nicely together?

I can run pipelines directly from the command line but not through Python. If I run the following pdal command inside my ArcGIS Pro configured Python command prompt "pdal pipeline iowa.json --debug"

The pipeline then runs successfully. However if I try to run "pdal --drivers" at the same command line I get the following error messages. After acknowledging the errors it then proceeds to print the drivers and I can still run pipelines.

"pdal.exe - Entry Point No Found"

"The procedure entry point ?mergeMode at Filter@pdal@@EEBA?AW4WhereMergeMode at State@2 at XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Users\bkgelder\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\pda-testing-env\lib\site_packages\bin\libpdal_plugin_filter_numpy.dll"

"The procedure entry point ?mergeMode at Reader@pdal@@EEBA?AW4WhereMergeMode at State@2 at XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Users\bkgelder\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\pda-testing-env\lib\site_packages\bin\libpdal_plugin_reader_numpy.dll"

Additionally - if I try to import pdal within a .py script file I receive the following warning about a circular import. I do not receive this when I import pdal in the IDLE shell.

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\bkgelder\Box\Scripts\pdal.py", line 4, in <module>
    import pdal
  File "C:\Users\bkgelder\Box\Scripts\pdal.py", line 16, in <module>
    pipeline = pdal.Pipeline(json)
AttributeError: partially initialized module 'pdal' has no attribute 'Pipeline' (most likely due to a circular import)"

I've also been trying to update pdal to 2.4.3 but not having luck due to listed conflicts. I've tried "conda update pdal" and "conda install -c conda-forge pdal=2.4.3"

Thank you,
Brian