[pdal] Entwine fails to build after recent PDAL LAS refactoring

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:28:24 PST 2022

There may still be changes before release. I've tried to maintain API in
the past and it may be worth sticking a layer on top of what''s in master
to support users who have already made PDAL part of their code.
Unfortunately, our API became everything, because there was no line drawn
between private code and public code from the library's outset. I've tried
to correct some of that, but haven't been terribly successful.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:

> Indeed, the LAS code was refactored to bring together COPC/EPT and LAS/LAZ
> common components. The LAS code was pseudo-private to PDAL, and so we
> reserved the right to change it as needed given PDAL's more public
> interfaces.
>
> We hope and expect that these changes weren't too disruptive, but we would
> much rather add missing things that are needed instead of supporting the
> previous behaviors and classes. Please reach out if there is something that
> cannot be done with the new pseudo-internal API that was available before.
>

> > On Jan 21, 2022, at 3:34 AM, Jean-Roc Morreale (ml) <
> jrmorreale_ml at enoreth.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > For CloudCompare, the PDAL plugin is being rewritten :
> > https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCompare/pull/1561
> >
> > as the plugin does not compile against current PDAL :
> > https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCompare/issues/1573
> >
> > Le jeudi 20 janvier 2022 à 14:22 -0600, Jim Klassen a écrit :
> >> The recent changes to the LAS code broke the entwine build in
> >> entwine/util/pipeline.cpp.  It looks like things like `scaleX()` need
> >> to be updated to `scale.x`.  I also suspect these changes probably
> >> also impact the CloudCompare PDAL plugin.
> >>
> >> However, I'm not sure where the fix should be:
> >>
> >> Is this a bug in entwine (and likely CloudCompare) for using a pdal
> >> API that is intended to be private (and they should be using entirely
> >> other means for accessing this information)?
> >>
> >> Is this an issue where entwine needs to be updated to match the
> >> current pdal API?
> >>
> >> Is this an issue in pdal for changing the existing API?
> >>
> >> Some/all/none of the above?

Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com