[pdal] Regarding Reprojection Between Vertical Datums

Nicholas Stanley nicholas.stanley at luminartech.com
Tue Jul 12 15:53:42 PDT 2022

Our "ground truth" is using WGS84 Ellipsoidal Height. The survey was
created in ~2017, but unfortunately I don't have much additional info
about the Epoch.

Technically, yes, I am in California - is it fair to say this
complicates things somewhat? The data for conversion is a USGS survey of
the San Francisco Bay Area.

Following the logic of your process:

*Step 1: Convert the **/NAD83(2011) / Conus Albers + NAVD88 height /**to
NAD83 Ellipsoidal using GEOID18 *

E.G.: pdal translate USGS_LPC_CA_NoCAL_Wildfires_B5b_2018_w2274n1959.laz
Step1_NAD83.laz reprojection
--filters.reprojection.out_srs="+init=EPSG:xxxx
+geoidgrids=~/Downloads/vdatum/core/geoid18/v2018prvi.gtx"
--writers.las.a_srs=EPSG:xxxx

(Not sure which EPSG codes to use here - any guess?)

*Step 2. Convert resulting Step 1. file into destination projection
(WGS84 UTM 10 Ellipsoidal https://epsg.io/32610, or alternatively,
https://epsg.io/7789 ITRF 2014)

*