[pdal] Downloading USGS LPC data with PDAL

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Jun 23 12:32:20 PDT 2022

> On Jun 23, 2022, at 1:54 PM, Andreas Yankopolus <andreas at yank.to> wrote:
>
> To date I’ve been converting LPC tiles to a raster tiles in parallel, then merging the raster tiles with GDAL as a sequential operation. I’m often processing several hundred square km of data at once, and telling PDAL to load all that data into memory at once doesn’t work out. Maybe there’s a trick I’m missing?

Dividing data processing is not PDAL's responsibility. We don't know your data, how dense it is, how much compute you have, how much storage you have, or how your network interconnects work. This is the long way of saying, you should control this yourself by using bounds/resolution on your readers.ept or readers.copc stage, queue various processes on whatever multiprocessing engine you wish, and reduce the data back together when you are done in whatever way makes sense for you.