[pdal] AWS ept.json data naming convention?

Gelder, Brian K [A&BE] bkgelder at iastate.edu
Mon Oct 10 09:16:40 PDT 2022

Hello,
First - thanks for all the help in figuring out NOT to use ArcGIS conda to install pdal and to use regular conda instead. It's all working much better now.

I'm trying to script building DEMs for USGS HUC12s and I'm having difficulty figuring out the naming convention used to name some of the ept.json files. It says the project name was used (https://registry.opendata.aws/usgs-lidar/) but that doesn't seem to be entirely correct but it's usually workunit. I got the USGS workunit and project names plus other data from this file:
https://rockyweb.usgs.gov/vdelivery/Datasets/Staged/Elevation/metadata/WESM.gpkg

It does not correspond to workunit name (not project) when the EPT file does not start with USGS_LPC. When it starts with USGS_LPC it seems to be based on a combination of project name and year from the opr_pub_date plus some other stuff. For example, one inconsistency is:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usgs-lidar-public/USGS_LPC_KS_Statewide_B1_2017_LAS_2018/ept.json

workunit: KS_Statewide_2017
project: KS_Statewide4County_2017_A18
opr_pub_date: 2018-11-15

Can anyone provide better guidance on how I should build the ept.json file names? Or maybe the USGS entwine map polygon data is downloadable?

Thank you!
Brian

Brian K. Gelder, PhD
"Mud" Research Manager (Soil and Water Research), Ag & Biosystems Engr. Dept.
Daily Erosion Project<https://www.dailyerosion.org/> & Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework<https://acpf4watersheds.org/>
Adjunct Assistant Professor, ABE, CRP & Agronomy Dept.
Instructor, CRP 454/554/LA 554 and CRP 456/556/ABE 556
3321 Elings Hall, Iowa State University
515-294-3144
My schedule<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/9f43d0598b5d4a798c1592542919c740@iastate.edu/4ad84c683cf643cf9b46844d5e9bae3d7421382923026391208/calendar.html>