[pdal] 'pdal info' VLR error troubleshooting

Speed, Cole M cole.speed at beg.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 27 09:49:37 PDT 2023

Hello all,

I am using 'pdal info' to view the metadata for a few laz files. For several of the files, pdal info returns the error:

PDAL: readers.las: VLR 1(SF/0) size too large -- flows into point data.

I believe this may indicate that the header/VLR s longer than is expected, causing the metadata information to be misinterpreted. Attempting to troubleshoot the issue by having a look at the lasreader source code (https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/blob/master/io/LasReader.cpp), I see the below code snippet:

        if ((uint64_t)stream->tellg() + vlr.promisedDataSize > d->header.pointOffset)
            throwError("VLR " + std::to_string(i + 1) +
                "(" + vlr.userId + "/" + std::to_string(vlr.recordId) + ") "
                "size too large -- flows into point data.");

I interpret this to indicate an underlying issue related to the laz header/VLR, but I am unsure what specifically this means or how to resolve it. The files are also unreadable by QGIS (Error: 'readers.las: Invalid VLR - exceeds specified file range'). Insight from anyone who has encountered these errors or has any thoughts as to what specifically they imply about the header/VLR formatting of these laz files would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cole Speed

Cole M. Speed
Ph.D. Candidate
Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin