[pdal] Make a boundary polygon closer to the point cloud

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 06:01:16 PDT 2023

Hi Ulises,

The tindex command uses filters.hexbin to create the boundary. It guesses
on the edge length of the hexagons used to form the boundary from a sample
of the data. If the sample isn't representative it may choose an
inappropriate edge length. You could try 1) sorting the data OR 2) setting
the edge length yourself with an option like --filters.hexbin.edge_size (I
think that's accepted by the "pdal tindex" command)

Good luck

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 12:42 AM Ulises Ibarra <ulisesmartinibarra at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello.
> I have a question: What do I have to do to make the boundary polygon
> closer to the point cloud?
>
> I would like to obtain a boundary from a cloud point. When I do the
> following instruction, the resulting polygon is very loose, with too much
> air between the points and the boundary.
>
> > pdal tindex create --tindex
> ..\GEOJSON\cloud513663ed34e703b5_boudary_prueba.sqlite --filespec
> .\cloud513663ed34e703b5.las -f SQLite
>
> The result look like this, where the red polygon is the resulting polygon
> by tindex and the yellow is the polygon resulting by the command
> lasboundary from lastools: https://postimg.cc/RNHGsDWH
>
> I would like it to look like the example image:
> https://pdal.io/en/latest/_images/boundary-qgis-view.png
>
> What do I have to do to make the boundary polygon closer to the point
> cloud?
>
> This is the image of the point cloud: https://postimg.cc/fVQC6fdg
>
> Greetings.
>
> Ulises Ibarra