[pdal] conflict in PROJ libraries

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 05:42:30 PST 2023

Conda is an environment manager. I sometimes wish more people understood
fully the value of environment management!

There are actually many ways an environment manager could solve what it
seems your problem is. I will quickly go through the simplest scenario. I
am sure you are more than capable of reading the documentation and working
out the tweaks and embellishments for yourself.

Assuming the simplest case from what your OP said - i.e. that
PostGre/PostGIS is currently working and that PDAL is not. In this case you
want to uninstall PDAL (or for even more safety - uninstall everything and
reinstall PostGIS from scratch ..).

Then install and run PDAL in a Conda environment - the steps for that are
as follows:

1 - Install miniconda from https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html,
2 - Read the docs about the basics of how to use it,
3 - create a new environment for running PDAL - let's call it "pdal-env" :

conda create --name pdal-env
conda activate pdal-env

4 - install PDAL by running the following in the same session as above:

conda install -c conda-forge pdal

This command will install PDAL and ALL of its dependencies into the new
environment. This includes the correct version of PROJ for the version of
PDAL. See https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pdal

At this point in the session, PDAL should be working correctly.

5 - To use PDAL in the future - you need to open a Conda aware session
(i.e. command line session for whatever OS you are on) and activate the
pdal-env environment - i.e.

conda activate pdal-env