[pgpointcloud] pg pointcloud with Postgres-XL?

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:18:46 PDT 2016

Paul suggested offlist that I try dropping the pointcloud_formats table and
re-creating it adding a DISTRIBUTE BY REPLICATION clause. I wasn't able to
do this from the console but managed to kludge it into a working state by
editing pgsql/sql/pointcloud.sql and rebuilding and reloading the
pointcloud extension.

The thing is, that tables in Postgres-XL do (usually) get distributed by
default, by one mechanism or another, if no DISTRIBUTE BY clause is
specified:

"If DISTRIBUTE BY is not specified, columns with UNIQUE constraint will be
chosen as the distribution key. If no such column is specified,
distribution column is the first eligible column in the definition. If no
such column is found, then the table will be distributed by ROUNDROBIN."

http://files.postgres-xl.org/documentation/sql-createtable.html

So i can create tables via ogr2ogr for example, and that works as expected
as with regular postgres and i see the records being distributed around the
data nodes. When I CREATE EXTENSION postgis on a coordinator node the
tables and functions get propagated to the data nodes.

I am still getting to grips with Postgres-XL, my understanding is weak and
I and still do not see why this particular table wasnt getting distributed,
something to do with the order of the CHECK constraint and the function
which it is calling?

Anyway, at least with this kludge I am now able to test out PDAL :) If I
arrive at a better understanding or a solution I will certainly let you
know.

cheers,

Jo