[pgrouting-dev] Re: Network Layering support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jan 28 13:15:02 EST 2011

Hi Jay,

If you are up for tackling another algorithm, I think this is the one
that has really high value for pgRouting:

http://algo2.iti.kit.edu/english/routeplanning.php

The contraction highways routing is awesome stuff. There is a lot of
pre-analysis of the network which takes a lot of compute time, but once
that is done and stored, the resulting structures let you compute routes
of continental distances in milliseconds.

This should be a very high priority for us as it is already in at least
two separate tools that work with OSM data. The value add for pgRouting
is that we could then use this algorithm for any datasets that meet the
minimum requirements for contraction highways.

Daniel, Anton, do you agree that this is a priority?

I hope you will give this one serious consideration.

Best regards,
   -Steve