[pgrouting-dev] redundant core sql functions

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Jul 2 01:09:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM, "Christophe Damour (SIGéal)" <
sigeal at sigeal.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I totally agree with both of you, Daniel and Mario.
> I too was a bit confused by existing wrappers when I began to use
> pgrouting.
> Wrappers should add extra functionalities.
>
> A function that accept source and target x/y would indeed be usefull,
> especially if it can return the first and last edge cut at the actual
> projection of source and target x/y. I will need such a function soon, so I
> will have to work on it...

This is indeed an often requested "feature". But it can be more tricky than
it initially looks like.
There is some example you can start with:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting-contrib/tree/master/wrapper

For wrappers "shipped" we should define some criteria. As more we have as
more needs to be documented and maintained. Instead a tutorial or a
few recipes to help users to write and modify their own custom wrappers
might make more sense.

Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de