[pgrouting-dev] duplicate function names in core

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jul 11 18:29:19 PDT 2012

Hello Mario,

On 7/11/2012 3:25 AM, Mario Basa wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
> With the problem I am encountering when I brought the driving_distance
> into core, both boost_drivedist.cpp and astar_boost_wrapper.cpp have
> graph_add_edge() function and Edge and Vertex structs.
>
> The offending components here are the structs I think since they have
> different values even if they have the same name in the c++ files. So,
> whichever you compile first (astar or drivedist) in the CMAKE file
> will work while the other will core dump. For fun, I made a different
> library in the CMAKE for drivedist, and it still dumped core.

Yes, this could be a problem. I think that this is not a problem if each
algorithm has its own directory because then the includes and code that
uses them are all local to the directory. And this eliminates the cross
contamination.

You still need to public interfaces to be consistent and not
conflicting. For example, you would not want astar_sp() and drivedist()
to return different structs using the same name, And you would not want
to pass a struct or array of struct the is called the same thing but has
different definitions BECAUSE these are public (ie: global) interfaces
and redefinition in the global space will break things.

> It was only after I renamed everything (Edge_dd,Vertex_dd, etc.) did
> it work. Again, this is so difficult to debug, well time consuming
> anyway. I am not so familiar with the recent gcc compiler, but I'll
> try look if there is a compile time option to give out warnings for
> similar function names.

Yes, this is very tricky to debug. Great work figuring this out.

> I'll move the common functions into a pgr_utils.h file to take out
> redundancy in core.

Excellent! Thanks for all your time and effort on this.

-Steve