[pgrouting-dev] pgRouting 2.0 Update

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Mar 13 08:51:12 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:46:53AM +0900, Daniel Kastl wrote:

> There are also people, who like CMake, I think ;-) ... I'm pretty neutral,
> mainly because I don't know well enough about it.
> I remember when pgRouting used CMake for the first time and I liked it
> better that time.
>
> Anyway, this is not something written to stone, so if there are good
> reasons not to use CMake, then we can talk about alternatives.
> I remember to have talked with Paul Ramsey at previous FOSS4G and he said,
> that PostGIS might use CMake in the future.
> But I don't know if this is still the case. Probably you know better, if
> there are any plans.

The real reason why people to use CMake is to make building for Windows easier.
Usually this has meant, for some years now, making building on free operating
systems harder.

That said, I dubt PostGIS will move to cmake unless someone steps up to
maintain the cmake build system. Someone has tried but never completed the
task. Evidently there's nobody needing cmake enough to work on it.

--strk;