[pgrouting-dev] pgRouting 2.0 Update

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Mar 18 05:45:03 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:37:06AM -0400, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> On 3/18/2013 8:09 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> >I'm not familiar with extensions, but as long as you still need
> >enabling and disabling scripts, can't you just always _also_ provide
> >those scripts and use them for setting up the testing database ?
>
> I'm thinking about how we can test multiple versions of postgresql
> and multiple versions of postgis.
>
> So if it were possible to install multiple postgresql instances in
> separate trees, then you could do something like:
>
> for each version tree
>   start postgres for this tree
>   cmake for this tree
>   build and stage for this tree
>   test on this tree
>   stop postgres for this tree
> endfor

This would be already possible with the setup used by PostGIS,
in that "make check" relies on your environment to figure out
where to find PostgreSQL, so if you have multiple versions you
may write your script so to use each version in turn.

I'm actually a fan of distributed testing (ala buildbot) so that
each slave has a different postgresql/postgis version installed.

Overcomplex testing frameworks may discourage people from using them.

--strk;