[pgrouting-dev] GSoC projects and next steps

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 30 06:23:26 PDT 2013

Mukul and Razequl,

Congratulations on your successful completion of GSoC!
I'm sorry that Daniel and I have been very busy with our own projects of
the recent past and have not been engaging more with you guys. Please
make sure you complete the final code submission and requirements for
Google so you will get paid for all your hard work.

For next steps, I see Daniel has merged the the develop branch into the
vrp branch. This will make it easier to eventually merge your code back
into the develop branch for our 2.1 release in the future. I think we
need to add some methods to generate the distance matrix based on a list
of locations. We can write a simple Euclidean distance generator for
fast demos and write a separate function that uses one-to-many Dijkstra
function to generate the distance matrix.

Daniel, any thoughts on this? Did you have any specific plans with this?

I want to do some testing on the partition projects, and look at
performance and memory usage on large graphs. Mukul is going to look at
creating a trsp-partition branch to see if he can integrate the
partition model into TRSP.

For both these projects, I want to review at the APIs and see if I can
make them consistent with our new module of reusable generic types or
extent the types as needed. I also want to review them for usability
changes like removing fixed table or column names, etc.

 From my point of view, these tasks will have to wait for some free time
which will be at least 2-3 weeks out if then.

I'm glad you both had a good summer with GSoC and that you will have
time and interest in continuing to expand you projects and support
pgRouting even if it is at a lower effort level because of class work again.

Thanks again for your efforts and significant contributions.