[pgrouting-dev] Versioning questions

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Dec 20 09:24:06 PST 2014

1) What is develop_2_0_1

I don't recall anywhere being listed a 2.0.1 release.  Or was that never
released.

2) On a slightly more embarassing note, I just built the PostGIS 2.1.5 /
pgRouting bundle package for PostgreSQL 9.4 windows 32 and 64-bit and pushed
to stackbuilder already (and I forgot to specify tag 2.0.0 during pgRouting
build (since I just wanted to build for 9.4 and my tagged build job builds
for all versions)
So I ended up with the latest develop branch (which annoyingly enough says
its 2.0.0 and pgrouting 2.0.0 for tag -

select * from pgr_version();;
 version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch  | boost
---------+-----------------+-------+---------+---------+--------
 2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 78    | abde224 | develop | 1.53.0
(1 row)

Vs. pgRouting (currently shipped)

select * from pgr_version();
 version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch | boost
---------+-----------------+-------+---------+--------+--------
 2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 0     | d6ed2cb | master | 1.53.0

though

I probably should have been alerted of this when I saw an extra dll:
librouting_vrp.dll

So my question is how do people feel about this

A) Should I pull the release I just did and package with the tagged
pgRouting 2.0.0

Or

B) Just leave things as they are and live with the fact that PostgreSQL 9.4
has a newer pgRouting. I'm more or less okay with this since PostGIS 2.1.5 /
pgRouting bundle will be the first for this version of PostgreSQL.

This I guess would be fine if most of the other changes are bug fixes,
slight enhancements and also if no functions were removed in the dlls or
function api changes since pgRouting 2.0.0 was released.

My main concern here is that since some people might be doing a pg_upgrade
from say 9.3 to 9.4 their upgrade would fail if they had pgRouting installed
in 9.3 and the 9.4 binaries don't have all the functions that were in 2.0.0
accounted for.  Having more is not an issue.

Which brings me to related sub question 2:
If I go with B, and since I haven't built PostGIS 2.1.5/pgRouting bundle for
the other PostgreSQL versions yet should I stick with the tagged v2.0.0 or
ship with the same that I built with 9.4?

My gut feeling is to stick with 2.0.0 since I prefer a tagged build over an
untagged one, but then again I also hate my packages being slightly
different.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Regina