[pgrouting-dev] Versioning questions

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Dec 20 14:20:31 PST 2014

On 12/20/2014 12:24 PM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> 1) What is develop_2_0_1
>
> I don't recall anywhere being listed a 2.0.1 release.  Or was that never
> released.

develop_2_0_1 was create to for bug fixes to the the 2.0.0 release, but
I'm not sure that it is different from 2.0.0 (ie: there has not been
anything done on it, but I have not diff'ed it to be sure).

develop* branches are where we work on stuff before it is released.

> 2) On a slightly more embarassing note, I just built the PostGIS 2.1.5 /
> pgRouting bundle package for PostgreSQL 9.4 windows 32 and 64-bit and pushed
> to stackbuilder already (and I forgot to specify tag 2.0.0 during pgRouting
> build (since I just wanted to build for 9.4 and my tagged build job builds
> for all versions)
> So I ended up with the latest develop branch (which annoyingly enough says
> its 2.0.0 and pgrouting 2.0.0 for tag -
>
> select * from pgr_version();;
>   version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch  | boost
> ---------+-----------------+-------+---------+---------+--------
>   2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 78    | abde224 | develop | 1.53.0
> (1 row)
>
> Vs. pgRouting (currently shipped)
>
> select * from pgr_version();
>   version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch | boost
> ---------+-----------------+-------+---------+--------+--------
>   2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 0     | d6ed2cb | master | 1.53.0
>
> though
>
> I probably should have been alerted of this when I saw an extra dll:
> librouting_vrp.dll

Again the develop branch is where misc. pull requests and fixes have
been going which will eventually become 2.1.0 release, but we have not
started a concerted effort on developing this release yet.

I think the librouting_vrp stuff is part of one or more of the GSoC
projects that were VRP related.

My biggest concern with publishing the develop branch is that it has had
little or no effort put into it. This includes limited or no testing, no
documentation, etc.

> So my question is how do people feel about this
>
> A) Should I pull the release I just did and package with the tagged
> pgRouting 2.0.0
>
> Or
>
> B) Just leave things as they are and live with the fact that PostgreSQL 9.4
> has a newer pgRouting. I'm more or less okay with this since PostGIS 2.1.5 /
> pgRouting bundle will be the first for this version of PostgreSQL.
>
> This I guess would be fine if most of the other changes are bug fixes,
> slight enhancements and also if no functions were removed in the dlls or
> function api changes since pgRouting 2.0.0 was released.

I think the safe thing to do it pull the package and build and push the
released 2.0.0 package if the is possible.

> My main concern here is that since some people might be doing a pg_upgrade
> from say 9.3 to 9.4 their upgrade would fail if they had pgRouting installed
> in 9.3 and the 9.4 binaries don't have all the functions that were in 2.0.0
> accounted for.  Having more is not an issue.
>

> Which brings me to related sub question 2:
> If I go with B, and since I haven't built PostGIS 2.1.5/pgRouting bundle for
> the other PostgreSQL versions yet should I stick with the tagged v2.0.0 or
> ship with the same that I built with 9.4?
>
> My gut feeling is to stick with 2.0.0 since I prefer a tagged build over an
> untagged one, but then again I also hate my packages being slightly
> different.
>

> Thoughts?

I think we should stick with the tagged 2.0.0 packages so everyone is
running the same stuff. I know its more work but I really think it is
the right thing to do.

Thank you for all your work on behalf of the whole pgRouting community.
It is really appreciated.

All the best Season's Greetings,
   -Steve