[pgrouting-dev] Version numbering suggestion

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Dec 25 22:53:34 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

>  Sounds good to me.  Only question I have is
>
> By release -- do you mean like a stable branch (so bug-fixes can be
> committed to it) or that it is the last one you released and no further
> changes can be made to it.

I think "tags" are a good way to mark releases, because Github also treats
tags as releases somehow: https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/releases
(Need to read about this more)

You can always use a tag as a base for a new branch or whatever else.
You will find the 2.0.0 release tagged as v2.0.0 as well as
pgrouting-2.0.0, which was a request by the CentOS packager.
I'm not sure yet, if it helped to solve the packaging issue. For the Ubuntu
packages I preferred the short version.

> I think having a branch of the latest stable is important, particularly if
> someone runs into a bug and doesn't want to go to the development branch
> that may add more functions.
>
> Aside from that.  My main suggestion is the develop version and released
> version should not have the same version number since this just causes
> confusion for people.

They should have a different number. I think it was my fault, because I
created a new clone of the repository and forgot to copy the pre-commit
hook.
A remaining issue with this pre-commit hook is, that it only knows the
previous hash tag, not the one created with the commit. But I don't think
there is a solution for this.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.info