[pgrouting-dev] pgRoutingLayer QGIS3 version

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Wed Oct 3 08:01:10 PDT 2018

Hi Cayetano

Please Merge first the branch to "develop" branch.
And clean the repository
send a mail to this list about the branches that will be deleted,
wait 3 or 4 days for people to double check that no "important" work will
be deleted.

Make sure that the tag that contains the GSoC students work was created.
(and the tag has as last commit, the last commit of the student during the
program)
I really don't remember if I taged his work, we never continue work on a
students branch,
that branch has to remain intact when the GoC program is over that contains
the students work and his work only.

By cleaning the repo:
When people clone or update their fork, they would only get master and
develop branch.
master has pgRoutingLayer v2.2.0 and branch develop has v3.0.0-dev

Because the version is a "major" change  we have to go thru the following
phases:

v3.0.0-alpha (v3.0.0-alpha1 if needed see bellow)
v3.0.0-beta
v3.0.0-rc
etc.

Use that versioning numbering to create the following branches & tags
v3.0.0-alpha1  Includes all the functions that are coded
v3.0.0-alpha2  Remove function(s) that is(are)  well-known to have issues
(issues must be documented on the issue list)
or
v3.0.0-alpha Include only the functions that supposedly work well
or
v3.0.0-alpha1 Includes only pgr_dijkstra
v3.0.0-alpha2 Includes also pgr_dijkstraCost
etc ...

I like third option best because also work on documentation has to be done.
So make users documentation of pgr_dijkstra and make the alpha with only
that function
So gradually documentation and functionality come in an alpha

I know version pgRoutingLayer v3.0.0 will use python3 what I dont know, is
which versions of QGIS it will work.
The version v2.0 didn't handle the functions with the "pgr_" is that going
to remain the same?
Which versions of pgRouting  will it work with?
I guess you removed all the deprecated functions, so for example, and kept
for example
for 2.1: pgr_dijkstra, pgr_drivingDistance and pgr_KSP
Maybe, many users (like me) have QGIS 2.18
Some instructions about testing the phases would be needed.

About initial decisions of what can be included:
Now that we are starting a new major
one thing is I learned is don't include what does not work

In our case, besides pgRoutingLayer code correctness, we depend on the
correctness of pgRouting :
About withPoints & all proposed functions
https://docs.pgrouting.org/2.6/en/proposed.html#stable
There is a warning. and some detected issues:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AwithPoints

About experimental functions:
https://docs.pgrouting.org/2.6/en/proposed.html#experimental-functions

About pgr_dijkstraCost in QGiS I use it (to generate the image) here:
https://workshop.pgrouting.org/2.5.0/en/chapters/shortest_path.html#exercise-5-many-pedestrians-going-to-different-destinations-returning-aggregate-costs
compare VS
https://workshop.pgrouting.org/2.5.0/en/chapters/shortest_path.html#exercise-4-many-pedestrians-going-to-different-destinations
It gives a different perspective of the results of pgr_dijkstra

As reference:
This is the latest pgRouting documentation
https://docs.pgrouting.org/2.6/en/index.htm
This is the pgRouting 3.0.0-dev documentation (to be released on September
2019)
https://docs.pgrouting.org/dev/en/index.html

Lots of things to plan
:)

Regards
Vicky

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 7:32 PM Cayetano Benavent <
cayetano.benavent at geographica.gs> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have finally cleaned code and fixed last bugs in python3 branch from
> pgRoutingLayer with all the work done by student Aasheesh Tiwari
> (@AasheeshT) this summer in GSOC.
> I would like to merge python3 branch with master and upload a QGIS3
> version. I've tested this code and it is working well in QGIS3 although
> there is still a lot of work to do :)
>
> It is important to note that I've removed several functions (what I really
> did is comment access from GUI):
> - WithPoints family: these functions don't work well because they were a
> very last addition in GSOC. We will add this code when Aasheesh (or
> somebody) fixes them.
> - TSP euclidean: This function is not working properly (before GSOC this
> function does not work well). I think is more useful to add pgr_TSP in the
> future that fix euclidean version.
> - DijkstraCost: This function is not working properly and I don't
> undestand very well the purpose of this function in QGIS.
>
> Deprecated functions were also removed (kdijkstra_path and kdijkstra_cost)
> but in this case we removed all the code.
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Cayetano Benavent*Head of Data
>
> +34 954 095 876
> www.geographica.gs