[pgrouting-dev] [pgrouting-users] RFC3 Positional and named parameters on pgRouting functions

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Oct 24 18:55:33 PDT 2018

Hi Vicky,

I agree with your proposal.

There is maybe one point, which we would loose, when we remove the names on
compulsory parameter: code readability.

Take your example:
https://github.com/pgRouting/admin/wiki/RFC3#developers-steps-to-take

Now it's not so easy anymore to understand the first three input
parameters, so I would suggest to somehow encourage developers (or make it
a required formal rule) to append the parameter name in each line as a
comment.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pgr_aStarCost(
    ---------------- remove the names on compulsory parameters
    TEXT,    # edges_sql (required)
    BIGINT,  # start_vid (required)
    BIGINT,  # end_vid (required)
    directed BOOLEAN DEFAULT true,

I understand, that PostgreSQL does not allow us to use the same attribute
name twice for in IN and OUT parameters, if we want to use named
parameters. But isn't this something that could be solved in future
versions of PostgreSQL? Looks more like a bug than a feature, because why
would someone want to use the parameter name of one, that is defined as
"OUT"?

Best regards,
Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de