[pgrouting-dev] Versioning and Compatibility matrix

Sandeep Thakkar sandeep.thakkar at enterprisedb.com
Thu Sep 1 08:16:23 PDT 2022

Hi Regina,

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 1:20 AM Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Sandeep,
>

> Vicky is at OSGeo conference this week.  I’ll try to answer to the best of
> my knowledge and Vicky can correct me later.
>
> We’ll work on setting up a matrix to clarify these questions.
>

> My personal general advice is to use the latest pgRouting micro that is
> supported for your PostgreSQL version (and for whatever Boost you can
> reasonably get).  For example Boost Graph Library (Boost 1.56 is required
> for pgRouting 3.3.1), so if for whatever reason you need to use lower
> boost, you’d need to use 3.1.

OK got it.

> Note that pgRouting lib files include the minor version.  E.g. 3.1 has
> library file:  libpgrouting-3.3 (however all new installs will reference
> the lib file designated in the .control file). This causes a bit of
> confusion, since a new minor pgRouting install doesn’t mean you are running
> the latest libraries, without a  ALTER EXTENSION pgrouting UPDATE;
>
> And even if you do CREATE EXTENSION pgRouting VERSION “someversion”;   you
> might end up with the newer library but older sql scripts.

OK. So as I understand, the micro version updates (3rd digit bump) doesn't
require to execute 'ALTER EXTENSION pgrouting UPDATE;' but the minor
updates (2nd digit) do need to execute that post-installation, correct? Any
additional steps needed to upgrade the major version? say from 3.x to 4.x

> pgRouting 3-3.3 work for all supported versions of PostGIS (and even
> unsupported) – so PostGIS 2.5 -> upcoming PostGIS 3.3.0 (which will be
> released late this week or early next) should work for all.

OK

> Upgrading -  there can be breaking changes for the functions marked
> proposed or experimental, with experimental being more likely to have
> breakages than proposed.
>
> https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/proposed.html
>
> https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/experimental.html
>

> For other functions, breakages should only be happening at the major level
> – e.g. 4.0 is going to have several breakages of core functions for example
> the TRSP and the loading functions.  If you see core functions broken
> between 3-3.3, then that is a bug that should be reported.

got it.

> For PostgreSQL compatibility, pgRouting, latest will always be compatible
> with the latest PostgreSQL (e.g. 3.3 works with the upcoming PostgreSQL 15).

OK

> I have to double-check, but as I recall, I think the pgRouting 3.3.1 works
> for all supported versions of PostgreSQL (so 10 -15).  The older versions
> it really depends on when a PostgreSQL release came out.

OK, having the compatibility matrix mentioned on the website would really
help.

> The general philosophy is as soon as a breakage is found in a PostgreSQL
> beta, it is fixed in the latest pgRouting minor ( or soon to be released
> minor if the PostgreSQL version has not been released yet).  These changes
> aren’t backported.  So for example I think there was a change in PostgreSQL
> 12 beta that broke some pgRouting functionality I forget which release, but
> I don’t think this fix was backported to older releases.
>

> Hope that helps,

Yes, thank you so very much to answer those questions in detail

--
Sandeep Thakkar