[pgrouting-dev] Versioning and Compatibility matrix

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 1 09:06:18 PDT 2022

OK. So as I understand, the micro version updates (3rd digit bump) doesn't require to execute 'ALTER EXTENSION pgrouting UPDATE;' but the minor updates (2nd digit) do need to execute that post-installation, correct? Any additional steps needed to upgrade the major version? say from 3.x to 4.x

No you always need to run ALTER EXTENSION pgRouting UPDATE;   even for micros. If you don’t you would miss plpgsql updates which there could be several in a micro.

[Regina Obe]

pgRouting 3-3.3 work for all supported versions of PostGIS (and even unsupported) – so PostGIS 2.5 -> upcoming PostGIS 3.3.0 (which will be released late this week or early next) should work for all.

OK

Upgrading -  there can be breaking changes for the functions marked proposed or experimental, with experimental being more likely to have breakages than proposed.

https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/proposed.html

https://docs.pgrouting.org/latest/en/experimental.html

For other functions, breakages should only be happening at the major level – e.g. 4.0 is going to have several breakages of core functions for example the TRSP and the loading functions.  If you see core functions broken between 3-3.3, then that is a bug that should be reported.

got it.

For PostgreSQL compatibility, pgRouting, latest will always be compatible with the latest PostgreSQL (e.g. 3.3 works with the upcoming PostgreSQL 15).

OK

I have to double-check, but as I recall, I think the pgRouting 3.3.1 works for all supported versions of PostgreSQL (so 10 -15).  The older versions it really depends on when a PostgreSQL release came out.

OK, having the compatibility matrix mentioned on the website would really help.

The general philosophy is as soon as a breakage is found in a PostgreSQL beta, it is fixed in the latest pgRouting minor ( or soon to be released minor if the PostgreSQL version has not been released yet).  These changes aren’t backported.  So for example I think there was a change in PostgreSQL 12 beta that broke some pgRouting functionality I forget which release, but I don’t think this fix was backported to older releases.

Hope that helps,

Yes, thank you so very much to answer those questions in detail

Regina