[pgrouting-users] arbitrary point path calculation

Almir Karic almir at almirkaric.com
Mon Jul 27 21:47:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Daniel Kastl<kastl at orkney.co.jp> wrote:

>> >From what i understand from the docs pgRouting can "only" calculate
>> the path between two points it has in the database? As opposed to
>> telling it my start and end coordinates?
>>
> pgRouting does a shortest path search from A to B, right.
> Other things like find closest bus stop, shop, crossing, road link, etc.
> from lat/lon you need another query. But it's not difficult. Take a look
> at the workshops for example.

could you be more specific please? in chapters 7-9 i see only the the
examples with points 10 and 20?

>> The use case that i have in mind is to allow users to tell me where
>> they are and where they want to go, the code picking the closest bus
>> stop with connection to a bus station close to where the user wants to
>> go.
>>
> If a user tells you the address where to start from you need to look up
> in your table the nearest road link to start with.

do i have to by hand determine if the nearest road link has indeed the
connection with the desired destination?

Also are you folks anywhere at irc?

--
python/django hacker & sys admin
http://almirkaric.com & http://twitter.com/redduck666